Sunday, October 16, 2016

Wordless Wednesday ~ October 19, 2016



On the theme of old things that mean something, I chose this old allspice tin that my Mom gave me when I first left home in 1967. I love the look, shape and colour of the tin and just keep re-filling it as needed. I was interested to note the text on the back, speaking of the curative qualities of certain spices, something we think of as a more current obsession.

In addition to the allspice container, is a pair of solid jade bookends, given to my father in 1971 and which now belong to me. I have always loved them for their solid heftiness and mix of smooth and jagged edges.

Check out other contributors:

Allyson Latta
Barbara Lambert
Elizabeth Yeoman
Carin Makuz
Cheryl Andrews

5 comments:

  1. What a poignant and beautiful composition Alli. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fan of Canadian Pickers I can tell you they'd love to get their hands on that tin! Didn't things used to be made so beautifully? That turquoise... and the info re health properties, as you say, just given as a matter of course. No great movement or book required to go along with it. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bookends are gorgeous. Had I remembered it was theme day I might have offered up a pair of elephant bookends that lived on my parents rather skimpy bookshelf... Yet they both loved to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this story, Allison. Something practical given to you in its prime when you set out into the world on your own. And, you kept it all this time, and now it's treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for colic and flatulence - I must remember that. And isn't it strange how so many of the bits and pieces we own at different times in our lives just disappear but a few small items like this stay with us until they become highly significant. As for the jade bookends, wow! They are stunning and knowing they are jade makes them more so. One of the two most precious things to Chinese people, I believe. A Chinese friend used to refer to my boy and girl twins as "your jade and your gold".

    ReplyDelete